The history of the Cuban Cigar
Day 1 Welcome to Cuba
Travel to your hotel accommodation in Old Havana, evening at leisure to get settled in and to enjoy dinner.
Evening meal included
Day 2 The Capital of Cigars
Today is dedicated to discovering Old Havana and its Colonial Squares. Sample a Mojito with a local Habano cigar and dine at the Conde De Villanueva Hotel and meet the famous 'torcedor' Cigar roller who will present the treasures of his cigar store and give a demonstration about how to make a Habano cigar. From the comforts of a classic old american car, tour the city, the military fortresses and visit 'la Triada' cigar shop where the longest cigar in the world is on display. This evening, dinner is followed by a tasting. Try old Cuban rums and puro habano on the roof terrace of the hotel Ambos Mundos where the famous writer Ernest Hemingway lived for 10 years.
Day 3 Pinar del Rio and the best tobacco in the world
Transfer to the beautiful region of Vinales. Visit on the way, the community of 'Las Terrazas' where you can admire coffee plantations and taste a coffee at the café María. Lunch in Buena Vista restaurant; then visit Pinar del Rio and the cigar Factory. Once you arrive in Vinales, you settle into your lodgings and dine at the 'Los Jazmines' hotel with unrestricted views of the valley and its mogotes - these impressive domelike mountain features and the valley are classified as a UNESCO world heritage site. Tonight, you can visit Vinales and experience its Latin music festivities...
Day 4 Vinales: A real paradise
Go hiking in the stunning valley or visit a tobacco farm to observe the plantations of drying processes depending on the season. You will have the opportunity to talk to the owner of the farm, to learn more about traditional cigar farming and rolling techniques and to enjoy a coffee and cigar with him. Lunch at the 'Mural de la Prehistoria' restaurant.
Then you return to the village and enjoy dinner at a private restaurant surrounded by music and the joy of living...
Upon return to the village, you visit the dreamlike Garden of Caridad and then dine in a restaurant on a promontory. You admire a beautiful sunset accompanied by a cigar and a glass of 'Old Rum'...
4 hours of walking
Day 5 Culture and Nature
Return towards Havana. On the way, visit Soroa Orchid Botanical Garden where you can admire thousands of exotic varieties of flowers and trees. Lunch at the restaurant 'Casa Del Habano' at Miramar and possibility to enjoy a Habano. Free time to explore the city at leisure this afternoon. Accommodation in our hotel.
Breakfast and lunch included
Day 6 A date with History
This morning, visit a cigar maker of your choice. Then explore the craft market in Old Havana. Enjoy lunch at the restaurant 'El Patio' in Cathedral Square. After lunch, you can sample a daiquiri and a puro habano under the benevolent gaze of Ernest Hemingway in the legendary El Floridita bar. Then, discover the museum of rum. Dinner and a night-time visit to the fortress de San Carlos de la Cabana to experience the historic cannon firing ceremony.
Day 7 Relax...
A day at leisure at the famous 'Club Havana' beach in the diplomatic quarter of Miramar. Enjoy the magnificent white sands, crystal pools and the Casa Del Habano restaurant (drinks and cigars at own expense). Return to your hotel to dine.
Day 8 Farewell
Possibility to make arrangements for your last day and transfer to the airport.
Period & budget
When to travel?
The best period for travelling is during the following months:
The budget is an indication of the price per person, subject to availability. Your local agent will send you a customized quote with the exact price. The price can vary according to availability, level of services, period of travel, number of participants, booking time frame and other items.
- 7 nights in hotel, refuge on the farm and homestay with breakfasts
- Meals from dinner Day 1 to breakfast Day 8 excluding dinner on Day 5
- Entrance fees to sites in the itinerary
- The accompaniment by an English speaking driver-guide, a specialist on the history of Cigars
- Our English speaking assistance 24 / 7
- International flights
- Tourist card (necessary for entry into the country)
- Evening meal Day 5
- Drinks, tips and personal expenses - all that is not 'included'
- Single Room Supplement: Consult us
Terms and conditions
- Cancellation received more than 30 days prior to the departure date: No cancellation fees.
- Cancellation received 30 to 21 days before the departure date: 30% of trip price will be retained.
- Cancellation received within 20 days of the departure date: 70% of trip price will be retained.
Changes to travel contract
Altai Travel Insurance Options
Budget & exchange
- A sleeping bag liner (or sleeping bag) for your night in a shelter (blankets provided)
- Water purification tablets
- A refillable water bottle or 2 (2L)
- A sun hat
- A bandana, to protect your neck
- A pair of sun glasses (good quality, 3 or 4)
- Thermal tops and bottoms
- T shirts, shorts and trousers suitable for hiking
- Appropriate underwear and pyjamas
- A warm layer
- A coat / jacket
- A rain coat (good quality, breathable with hood)
- Water proof trousers
- A swimsuit & fast drying towel
- A pair of hiking boots
- Thick socks for hiking
- A pair of casual shoes for evenings/gentle strolls
- 1 pair of shoes for wearing in water for snorkeling, swimming, etc
- Your personal toiletries
- Sun-cream (body and lips)
- Head torch and spare batteries
- A pair of hiking poles
- A waterproof bag cover (or plastic bags) to protect your belongings
Health information & recommendations
- Avoid dropping litter - use bins or carry your rubbish with you.
- Use drinking water sparingly - avoid wasting water, take showers not baths, report leaks, etc..
- Support the preservation of cultural sites - resist the temptation to touch statues, moves stones etc..
- Exchanges are prefarable to donations - generations gifts can destabalize the local economic balance.
- When walking, be aware of fragile ecosystems, observe wildlife from a distance, stick to trails, limit trampling and do not steal from the nature - resist the temptation to pick flowers, collect fossils or stones...
- Some hotels have air conditioning - to avoid excessive energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions, please use sparingly and remember to cut the aircon when you are not in the room.